Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book Review: The Practice of the Presence of God

If you are looking for something deep, short and practical, I highly recommend this little treasure.

It encapsulates the philosphy of a man simply known as "Brother Lawrence", a lay brother who, previously a soldier, worked in a monastery kitchen. He shows the reader in his humble, direct and powerful manner how he or she can experience God's presence in the rough-and-tumble of everyday life. He writes,

The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament.

This book will be most helpful to those immersed (or drowning) in studies and/or work, looking for something more than fleeting moments of happiness, fulfillment and connection with God.

No comments: