Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Holiness Packs the Punch


NOW, MORE THAN EVER, the world is full of words.

I am one of those who loves words and sentences and paragraphs and...But, in an era where information is everywhere taxing our attention, we're reminded that people will always trust the words of those who have the courage to stare down temptation and overcome it through God's grace.

Of St. John Chrysostom, it was noted:
[He]preached Sunday after Sunday and during Lent, sometimes twice or oftener during the week, even five days in succession, on the duties and responsibilities of Christians, and fearlessly attacked the immorality of the city...He exemplified his preaching by a blameless life, and soon acquired great reputation and won the love of the whole congregation. Whenever he preached the church was crowded. He had to warn his hearers against pickpockets, who found an inviting harvest in these dense audiences(1).
As my friend Andrew Mitry reminded me recently, "[T]he kingdom of God is not in word but in power."(2)

If I can't be holy for myself, I should at least be holy for those who expect it from me.
____________________
(1)Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers, Volume 9, p. 11
(2)1 Corinthians 4:20

1 comment:

L said...

"If I can't be holy for myself, I should at least be holy for those who expect it from me."

Brilliantly said.