Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Things You Would Not Say


I HATE YOU.

That was easy.

Of course, had you and I been sitting across a table from one another I probably would not have even planned to say that.

But now that I have this thing called a computer, words can flow like M&Ms from a bag or Eminem from a radio.

The New York Times published a piece a few months ago on one parent's effort to curb text messaging. In part, she wrote,
As it turned out, it was what other people were saying to her that began to concern me more. That’s when I learned about the mean-girl texts, the ones no one would have the nerve to say to a person’s face but are easy to send from one nonconfrontational phone to another. “We all hate you,” I saw on the tiny black screen one night when I picked her up from religion class. First it tore my heart out. Then I got annoyed. Why was she texting during religion class?
On this topic, Abba Arsenius, notes, "I have often regretted the words I have spoken, but I have never regretted my silence."

The next time you're thinking about firing off an email/text/tweet/IM/facebook status update, take moment, offer your heart (and its contents) to God, and ask, "Do I mean this enough to say it?"

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

From a man that ruled a country, and with a stroke of a pen, safe-havened the greatest nation that lies today.

Read number ten before hitting send.


Thomas Jefferson's 10 Rules

1)Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

2)Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.

3)Never spend your money before you have it.

4)Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will never be dear to you.

5)Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.

6)Never repent of having eaten too little.

7)Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly.

8)Don't let the evils which have never happened cost you pain.

9)Always take things by their smooth handle.

10)When angry, count to ten before you speak; if very angry, count to one hundred.