Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sound Familiar?


"ONCE human beings were cut off from the light of paradise," writes St. Mark the Monk, "they forgot about the light and were enamored with the opposite." He continues his discussion of The Fall,
Error became more characteristic of them than the truth; wickedness became second nature; idolatry acceptable, pleasure-seeking legitimate, covetousness something to be deliberately sought, sin something to be multiplied, rage more fearful, the serpent more audacious; humans at time befuddled and at other times distracted, ignorant of the future while being wrapped up in the present, while still "the creation was subjected to the futility," as it is written, "not of his own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in the hope" (Rom. 8:20) of his own coming.
I think it's helpful to look at this list. How close to home does it hit? How many of the items describe me? For example, how easily do I fly into a rage, and how "fearful" is that rage? How much have I developed my greediness? How "audacious" and comfortable is the serpent (sin) with me?

The answers give me a good measure of deep into the Fall I have sunk versus how much I live in God's hope.

No comments: