Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Rocket Ship to Mars


It sounds silly to even talk about, doesn't it? You might as well say you're building a rocket ship to go to Mars but it won't be ready for a few years."

And when it is, it may not fly.

-Once a Runner

SOMETHING'S HAPPENING.

I've raced about five times in the last 30 days, all slower than my personal bests (save the two-minute shave I gave to my half-marathon PR). My last 10k: 20 seconds slower than last Fall.

But I feel lighter and faster.

Are you still reading?

It seems that with running, counseling, lawyering, selling, writing, cooking, boxing, vinyl-sidering, doctoring - any endeavor really, even prayer - it's mostly about sticking with it, logging the minutes, hours, days, months, years.

Consider Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 Hour Rule. Punch in, punch out.You live like a clock.

The monks who know the Psalmody by heart, do you think they sat down and tried to memorize them? I doubt it. I bet nights in prayer turned into decades, a rhythm, a way of life. H.H. Anba Shenouda talks of prayer as a language. Speak more and it becomes more natural and comfortable, over time.



Keep moving forward, relentlessly.

No comments: